Student Employment Certification Statement & Acknowledgement of Receipt For The Secured Use And Confidentiality Of University Records And Data
To work as a student employee on campus, you must have agreed to and electronically signed the "Student Employment Certification Statement" and "Acknowledgement of Receipt for the Secured Use and Confidentiality of University Records and Data" by CLICKING ON THE ACCEPT BUTTON BELOW.
I also acknowledge that the university reserves the right to make changes to these policies, as necessary, and that I am accountable to abide by those changes, and responsible for reviewing these policies upon accepting an offer of employment.
I understand, as a student employee, that:
- I am expected to comply with all federal and state laws and all University policies;
- the Internal Revenue Service and Kent State University define a student employee as anyone who is employed by the university and maintains HALF-TIME enrollment status (six credit hours for undergraduate students and four credit hours for graduate students) during fall and spring semester enrollment;
- if I drop below HALF-TIME credit hours, my employment with the university will be terminated immediately;
- my employment during any active assignment period is subject to meeting enrollment requirements, my job performance, departmental staffing needs, university and/or departmental budgetary considerations, and my adherence to established university and/or departmental policies and procedures;
- if I am a Federal Work-Study (FWS) student employee, my hours per week will be dictated by my Federal Work Study award as determined by the Student Financial Aid Office, my assignment will be terminated when I earn my FWS limit unless renewed by the department, and that FWS funding will be terminated if I cease to be enrolled at least HALF-TIME during the fall and spring semester;
- I agree, as a condition of employment, to authorize Kent State University to automatically deposit my paycheck, including any Federal Work Study earnings, into my designated bank account or a university approved stored-value card, in accordance with Volume 4, Chapter 1 (Disbursing Federal Student Aid (FSA) Funds), of the Federal Student Aid Handbook;
- I agree to work no more than the 28 maximum hours permitted per week as established by university policy, and understand that violation of this policy will result in immediate termination of employment;
- if I am a full-time international student on a F Visa, U.S. Federal regulations do not allow me to work more than 20 hours per week while school is in session;
- I agree to be bound by any additional terms and conditions of employment established by my employing department and that the employing department will assign my duties;
- summer employment is contingent upon my enrollment during the following fall semester unless I am enrolled half-time for summer or graduating in August; and if I am not enrolled during the summer, I am required to contribute to OPERS;
- I can only request to waive my contribution to OPERS by completing an OPERS “Request for Optional Exemption as a Student” in accordance with the Ohio Revised Code Section 145.03;
- the Career Services Center will release my dates and department of employment, and rate of pay to individual inquiries unless I request to restrict disclosure of this information;
- if I am a university athlete, I must first complete a “Student-Athlete Employment Verification Form,” available from the Athletic Department, and I must comply with specific NCAA procedures and regulations regarding my eligibility to receive employment earnings;
- I will abide by the ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF RECEIPT FOR THE SECURED USE AND CONFIDENTIALITY OF UNIVERSITY RECORDS AND DATA, which states:
All persons accessing KSU institutional data hold a position of trust relative to student and University information in any form and must recognize the responsibilities entrusted to them in preserving the security and confidentiality of this information. Kent State University also recognizes its obligation to uphold student privacy rights under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1972 (FERPA), the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA), the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA), Ohio Revised Code Section 102, and all other Federal and State laws and regulations governing the security and confidentiality of information used in our operations. Therefore, in this regard:
I, the undersigned, acknowledge that I understand and agree to adhere to the following statements:
- I am familiar with the Kent State University policies 5-08.101: Operational procedures and regulations regarding collection, retention and dissemination of information about students, and 5-08.102: Operational procedures and regulations regarding release of name and address listings, for administering and maintaining student education records.
- I will use computing resources and data only for legitimate University business for which I am explicitly authorized; and I know that it is against University policy to peruse or use University records including, but not limited to, confidential information for my personal interest or advantage.
- I will not exhibit or divulge the contents of any record (paper or electronic) to any person except in the conduct of their work assignment in accordance with University and office policies; I will not knowingly include or cause to be included in any records or report a false, inaccurate or misleading entry; I will not aid, abet, or act in conspiracy with another to violate any part of this agreement or the referenced Federal and State laws and regulations.
- I will report security and privacy violations.
- I understand that access to information will be granted only on a strict "need-to-know" basis, the determination of which will be made by the data steward(s) in cooperation with the individual's security administrator.
- I understand that assigned computing system USERID(s) and associated password(s) are to be considered highly confidential and are not to be shared, communicated, or made easily accessible to anyone.
- I understand that violation of these statements may lead to reprimand, suspension, dismissal or other disciplinary action consistent with the general personnel policies of the University.
- I understand that responsibility for confidentiality continues after I leave a position of affiliation with Kent State University. Pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code, Chapter 102.03(B), I understand that disclosure of confidential information by preset or former public officials or public employees may constitute a violation of state statute; conviction of which is a first-degree misdemeanor (up to six months imprisonment and/or $1000 fine). (Version 1.3, Last Revised: 3/8/2011)